Monday, February 14, 2011

Just around the Corner

Today may be the day that my soccer field shows itself after being under its blanket of snow most of the winter.  Currently it is about 46 degrees and may make it to 50 this afternoon and is forecasted to be in the mid 60's by Thursday.    I have a lot of spring maintenance work to do on the field and hope to get started on some of it this week.

I missed the weather window of opportunity last fall to over seed, so that has to be done early this spring, along with aerating and fertilization.  I need to remove the nets and repaint the goals and will have to remark and paint the lines on the field.  I plan to replace the corner flags and possibly the goal nets.

I also will need to make arrangements for some referees, extra parking, and portable toilets because in about two months (April 16) I have scheduled a scrimmage between Madeline's team, Iowa Central and Meredith's team, Central Methodist University.  Both coaches were glad to get a spring scrimmage against a team they had not played before and this worked out well for both.

I have also invited officials from North Central Missouri College in Trenton to come and watch.  I have planted a seed there in hope that they might start a soccer program.  Just as the local high school program has enhanced the recreational program,  a college soccer program at NCMC could really help  the CHS soccer program and could possibly kick start other high school programs in the area.

Debra and I will be hosting a post game meal for both teams, their coaches, and any parents who have traveled to watch the game. Central Methodist is only about 2 hours from Chillicothe and will be arriving Saturday morning and returning to Fayette after the game.  Iowa Central will also be arriving on Saturday morning but will be spending the night and has scheduled a scrimmage with Graceland University on Sunday on their way back to Ft. Dodge.

The game time is scheduled for 1:00 and we hope to have a large crowd here to see a good college match.  I have contacted the local high school coach and the CHS girls team will participate in some form, perhaps with a practice or just to watch to see what soccer is like at the next level.

I plan to have several press releases in local media and to invite everyone out to watch the match.  I know my excitement is building and will have to work like crazy to get everything done.  I will post again tomorrow to bring everyone up to date with Madeline and Meredith's soccer programs.

No comments:

Post a Comment